Daniel T. Holmes
Medical Lead, Chemistry
Assistant Department Head
"The LORD detests dishonest scales [analyzers] but accurate weights [calibrators] find favor with him." Proverbs 11:1
I grew up in Port Hope, ON where I attended Trinity College School. I then went on to the University of Toronto to study Chemical Physics. After my undergraduate training I attended the University of British Columbia Medical School and entered the UBC Medical Biochemistry Residency Training Program in 2001. Completing my residency in 2006, I joined the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at St. Paul's Hospital and have been Division Head of Clinical Chemistry there since 2008.
- BSc Chemical Physics, University of Toronto
- MD, University of British Columbia
- Residency Training in Medical Biochemistry, University of British Columbia
Expertise / Research Interests
- Tandem mass spectrometry in application to routine and esoteric clinical testing
- Laboratory diagnosis of Primary Aldosteronism
- Laboratory investigation of spontaneous hypoglycemia
- Application of the R statistical programming language to Clinical Laboratory Medicine
- Clinical Chemistry
- Clinical Mass Spectrometry
- Secondary hypertension
- The R programming language for clinical laboratory medicine and process automation
Rehan, Muhammad, Joshua E. Raizman, Etienne Cavalier, Andrew C. Don-Wauchope, and Daniel T. Holmes. Laboratory challenges in primary aldosteronism screening and diagnosis. Clinical biochemistry 48, no.6 (2015):377-387.
Popp, Robert, David Malmstrom, Andrew G. Chambers, David Lin, Alexander G. Camenzind, J.Grace van der Gugten, Daniel T. Holmes et al. An automated assay for the clinical measurement of plasma renin activity by immuno-MALDI (iMALDI). Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA)-Proteins and Proteomics 1854, no.6 (2015):547-558.
Holmes, Daniel T. cp-R, an interface the R programming language for clinical laboratory method comparisons. Clinical biochemistry 48, no.3 (2015):192-195.
Camenzind, Alexander G., Jessica Grace van der Gugten, Robert Popp, Daniel T. Holmes, and Christoph H. Borchers. Development and evaluation of an immuno-MALDI (iMALDI) assay for angiotensin I and the diagnosis of secondary hypertension. Clinical proteomics 10, no.1 (2013):20.
Van Der Gugten, Jessica Grace, Joshua Dubland, Hua-Fen Liu, Alex Wang, Christine Joseph, and Daniel T. Holmes. "Determination of serum aldosterone by liquid chromatography and tandem mass spectrometry: a liquid–liquid extraction method for the ABSCIEX API-5000 mass spectrometry system." Journal of clinical pathology 65, no.5 (2012):457-462.
Van Der Gugten, Jessica Grace, Matthew Crawford, Russell P. Grant, and Daniel T. Holmes. Supported liquid extraction offers improved sample preparation for aldosterone analysis by liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry. Journal of clinical pathology 65, no.11 (2012):1045-1048.
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
St. Paul's Hospital, 1081 Burrard St.
Vancouver, BC V6Z 1Y6
External Links / Resources
- Laboratory Medicine Blog: www.labRtorian.com
- Twitter @DrDanHolmes: twitter.com/drdanholmes
- Open Source Regression Software: cprsoftware.blogspot.ca/
- Regression Software Download: sourceforge.net/projects/cprchempath/