Pre- and Post-Examination
"Excellence is its own justification."
Pre- and post-examination (PPE) is the interface between the laboratory and the patient and their care team.
We are responsible for collecting blood samples (phlebotomy), receiving specimens from the hospital and community, and preparing the samples for testing. Once test results are ready, our division ensures that the report is delivered quickly to the patient's doctor.
- the lab performs about 1/4 million blood collections (that's a lot of pokes!)
- we receive 180,000 samples sent to us from other hospitals and labs for testing
- 85,000 patients come though our outpatient laboratory to get blood work done
- we send over 1,500 samples to other provinces or countries for very rare or specialized tests
- we train up to ten students from West Coast College and Vancouver Community College and provide phlebotomy (blood collection) training for BCIT students
- Medical Lead - Dr. Martin Trotter
- Team Lead - Ken Liao
- Technical Coordinator - Jennifer Clarke
Hours of operation
Blood collection service for inpatients: 24/7/365 (including statutory holidays)
Blood collection service for outpatients: 0700 - 1800h Mon - Fri; 1000 - 1500h Weekends; closed for statutory holidays
Lab results for physicians: Lower Mainland Call Centre 1-877-747-2522 Weekdays 0700 - 1700h
After hours including statutory holidays for results 604-682-2344 ext 63612
2nd floor Providence Building
1081 Burrard Street
Vancouver, BC V6Z 1Y6
Laboratory Manager: Janice Bittante 604-806-8102
Team Lead: Ken Liao 604-806-8197